View Single Post
10-15-2013, 07:53 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tvank15 View Post
Yeah I know rec leagues in Europe would be the same level as here and that the pro leagues there are a much higher level of Hockey than rec ones here, I was more just curious on whether it would be easier to get try-outs in Europe rather than Canada or the States.
To be honest, unless you're looking at playing rec-hockey, you're very unlikely to get a tryout for any type of team above a decent 'beer league' team. You have to know that it takes a lot more than improving skills in pickup hockey and being able to skate and stick handle. Having missed out playing high levels of rep hockey throughout your youth will likely be your undoing because (what I take from your post) you never played structured hockey. House League structure is nothing close to A, AA and AAA and the mentality, physicality and know-how is likely not there. I know a couple of guys who played Junior A/OHL and then CIS (these guys are very, very good players) and they are trying the same thing as you're suggesting and having a tough time finding teams.

Take a look at the teams and leagues available throughout Europe and you'll find that most of the players played Major Junior in NA or high levels of junior/minor pro in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czech Republic, etc.

Like the name suggests, open-tryouts are available to anyone. You could go tryout for an ECHL (AA), CHL (AA), SPHL (A) or FHL (A) team here in North America, but the guys in these leagues are also almost exclusively mid to low-end NCAA or Major Junior players. This is around the same caliber of players that you will be competing for spots with in those leagues.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote