Old
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
The issues I see with MDZ are:

1. For an offensive defenseman he is not even close to a shooting threat. His shot is nothing to write home about, but he also displays a ridiculously poor ability to even get simple shots through to the net on the rare chance he isn't trying to pick a corner from the blue line. The lack of a shooting threat limits his passing abilities because everyone on the ice knows 9x out of 10 he isn't shooting, and the one time he does it isn't a threat. And a lack of consistent offense makes it tougher to absorb his deficiencies in the defensive zone.

2. He still seems to be riding a rollercoaster of emotion game to game, period to period, at times shift to shift. More than any other player he seems to let mistakes snowball into bad games into long slumps. Maybe that will improve in time. Will it ever be good? I have my doubts. This is a player who could not stick to the Gary Roberts conditioning/diet regiment and it shows. This is a player who was outspoken about wanting to have fun and open things up over the summer. Looking to the easy road.

Maybe this is too harsh. I don't know the guy. But it is what I get from reading the tea leaves here. And it is not something I am knee jerk reacting to from this season. If i was doing that i would want every defenseman not named Staal or Stralman shipped out. Have felt this way for a while.
All very good points. Well said.

Biggest thing for me with MDZ is that he's clearly a "comfort zone" player. When he's confident, and playing his correct side, he can be a really dynamic player. He was stellar when Staal was out with his concussion, but as soon as he was forced out of position, his play soured considerably. He still has all of the tools to be a very good #3 who sees big PP minutes, but let's face it; the Rangers are set with Staal and McDonagh on the left for the foreseeable future. You simply can't have a guy like Del Zotto on the bottom pairing forever. Especially when he's going to have arbitration in his corner next summer.

Move Moore to the right-side with Staal, and reunite the Stralman/MDZ pairing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote