View Single Post
Old
10-16-2013, 03:20 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
He was better. He wasn't MUCH better. Naslund finished two points behind him in the scoring race. Granted, Naslund played more games but you can't deny that he still managed to score 48 goals and win the Pearson. Mario Lemieux also scored at a sick pace, had he played a full season I think he would have been right up there. He didn't have much help on that terrible Pens team either. Palffy had 85 points in 76 games on an LA Kings team where the second leading scorer was defenceman Mathieu Schneider who scored 42 points and was traded at the trade deadline. Give him another weapon and he would be right up there too. So my point is, Forsberg may have been the best forward that year, but I don't think he was MUCH better than everyone else.
Forsberg lost the Pearson because he missed his games in December and didn't catch up in the scoring race until the players were already voting. Naslund and Lemieux were significantly more dependent upon 5-on-4 advantages for their offense than Forsberg - and while strength in advantageous offensive situations is commendable, their teams weren't faring nearly as well defensively in even-strength situations. Forsberg was a +52 on a team that was +/-0 with him off the ice (hence the gap between his numbers and teammate Joe Sakic's +4), whereas Naslund's +6 ranked just 12th on his squad and Lemieux's -25 was third-worst on his team and among the worst in the league.

To say that Forsberg wasn't much better is to ignore that not only did he score at a higher rate, but that opposition teams were also not scoring against his line specifically. Forsberg and his linemates were +52, +52, and +34. The next highest Avalanche forward was +8. He may have been far removed from his PK days, but his offense was legitimately one of the best even-strength defenses in the league.

Removing PK GA/minutes
Forsberg: 42 GA in 1434 minutes
Madden: 36 GA in 1239 minutes

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote