View Single Post
Old
10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Goaltending development is erratic. Established Goaltenders see fluctuations in performance year on year.

At 23 Markstrom is definitely too young to judge with any great accuracy. In my few viewings of him over the past year, i've never been overly impressed, but i'm clueless on Goaltenders. Size and athleticism are clearly there.

Lehtonen took years to establish himself as an upper echeloen #1. Varlamov for all his outstanding raw ability, hasn't translated it into a high end season yet. Price hasn't truely estalished himself as an elite Goalie either IMO. Pavelec hasn't translated raw ability into being an above average NHL goalie. Crawford/Howard took years. Rask, who is abit of an outlier to me (awesome out of the gate) has had 2 years starting. Schneider isn't an established starter yet (He was drafted in 2004!). Bernier isn't an established starter yet. It takes a lot of time and the right environment for a young hyped Goaltender to establish himself.

The only lesson to take from the development of Markstrom is that the "OMG this prospect is sick! Can't wait future stud!" mentality is so flawed. Development of players to the NHL is a slow and difficult process for most, nevermind Goaltenders.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote