View Single Post
Old
10-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Cap space is only part of this current direction. Gillis had the option to get a matured asset for cheaper by possibly signing Gilbert or Kostka. Brunner was also there, as you know. Instead, he chose to go with a 24 year old Weber and picked up Stanton to park the older Alberts. He's given Dalpe and Schroeder a shot to secure spots in the bottom6, when more mature assets could be penciled in there. Basically, he's actively going in the direction of trying to develop younger players here.

With every opportunity to add a matured asset, Gillis has to make a choice between taking space away from a young player or locking down a position long term. The team has 7 vet forwards. Replacing Booth with a vet keeps that number consistent. So maybe there is room for one vet. Moving him for a younger player increases the youth and the odds such a player brakes out via development here too though. So there are positives both ways.

I think Gillis might continue on this path of looking at younger players he thinks he can develop into useful pieces, rather than going after the mature assets a la Roy. The depth moves speak to this. If those young players completely flop in half a year, maybe thats enough to get him to switch gears again and go with an older solution, but then one would have to wonder what his overall direction really is...
I like Stanton so far better than either Gilbert or Kostka to be honest. That was a very solid pickup from the Canucks pro scouts. We can't afford Brunner as he makes more than twice our remaining cap space. Unless Booth was gone we had no room to make an acquisition whether we wanted to or not. Although Capgeek has us having potentially 5.7m in cap space at the deadline with which we can add players, so it becomes a lot more possible to go and acquire someone than it was with the 1m and change we had to start the season.(I'm not sure exactly how that works, though)