View Single Post
Old
10-17-2013, 07:03 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
And you don't think that the power play might have looked better because they played the first bad team they've faced this season? Del Zotto has outshot Moore since they've both been on the same team (by a fairly decent margin).

Again though--it comes down to results. Moore has 4 career goals. 4.

When will it ever sink in with you that NO 23 year old defender "is what he is." You being pissed that a 23 year old isn't playing like a 28 year old is not a poor reflection on the 23 year old. It's a poor reflection on your comprehension skills.

Okay, let's contextualize those stats to make them more fair. Yeah, Del Zotto has 2.5x the games that Moore has played. In those 2.5x games, he has scored 5x as many goals, and about 7.5x as many points. All while playing harder minutes. It gets even more pronounced in the postseason, where Moore only put up one point in 12 playoff games. Del Zotto did better than that (albeit barely) playing with a hernia, and the year before, he put up 10 points in 20 games. And before you go on about PP time, neither of DZ's points from last postseason were on the PP, and less than half from the previous year.

Moore has been great playing safe 3rd pair minutes. I'm glad we have players like him and Stralman on the 3rd pair, because they can step up and play on that 2nd pair when needed. To date, however, as an attacking defenseman, John Moore would need to improve exponentially to even be in the same conversation with Del Zotto.
Every 23 year old defensemen ever has never hit their ceiling by that age? That seems like a big leap to me. I would bet a million dollars there have been a lot of players who fizzled out by 23 because it was clear they were not going to make it in the NHL or pro hockey. Of course Del Zotto is going to get better. He's shown he is a capable NHL defensemen and thus will continue playing hockey. It's pretty obvious the more you do something the better at it you will get. It's not the question of will DZ get better, again, unless he falls off a cliff that one is obvious. The real question is, HOW MUCH better will Del Zotto get and in my opinion (love it or hate it) he's not going to be the PPQB stud he was drafted to be. If I am wrong, great, but until then onus is on him to prove he is still developing and can take his game to the next level. Sorry for not comprehending your ridiculous claim that no 23 year old in history stopped developing or hit their ceiling.

Again, with the stats you can extrapolate and prorate all day and it changes nothing. Until John Moore plays 150 more games you cannot compare him to a 250 game MDZ fairly or accurately. Maybe Moore got a slower start for X amount of reasons. Maybe if he is given the same minutes and played in similar situations as Michael for the next 150 games he will prove to be better. Comparing stats is disingenous and misleading. We will see.