View Single Post
Old
10-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree with you there, although I thought the Caps were brutal last night, so we'll see how it goes. It's risk vs. reward. The man to man coverage, when it works, allows for an easier passage out of the zone. It also has led to a lot of confusion and running around even in the first period last night.

Then, theres what they do when they leave the zone which, in my opinion, highlights the deficiencies with this team when it comes to skill. They were more of a dump and chase team last night that came with a hard fore-check and great work below the circles. I think what a lot of people want to see are pretty plays off the rush when transitioning out of the defensive zone. That ain't gonna happen too often with this group, especially with Nash out.
Every team in the league is a dump and chase team, though. The Hawks are. The Kings are. The Red Wings are. The Bruins are. The Penguins are. All of those teams dump the puck more than they rush the puck. They rush the puck when the opportunity is there for them to do it. The Rangers did that last night too, and for the most part, they did it fine when they could. Those people who expected a pretty rush team were being naive. Not only is that a losing strategy in the NHL today, it's also not the strategy Vigneault used in Vancouver. Contrary to belief around here, Vigneault never preached an aggressive offensive game. What he did preach was a simple and sound system that allowed his players to use their creativity when the option was there.

Anyway, where I'm most concerned about the man to man right now isn't in defending the cycle. It's on defending the rushes when they do come. Guys still don't seem to know who they're supposed to pick up on the backcheck, and that makes the defenders unsure of where to commit.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote