View Single Post
Old
10-17-2013, 09:33 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Philly has been doing this with their players for ages, Rathje for example. At the end of a long career players have in all likelihood picked up some chronic injuries that they can play through but are enough for some doctor to deem them "injured" enough to go on LTIR.

It is undehanded as hell and a risk for sure, but I'm not 100% convinced that they buy him out if he has a PPG+ season. Hopefully they can solve it in the above manner if they choose to keep him. That's all I'm saying.
I understand what you're saying. Rathje had a hip issue. Did he play again? Savard and Pronger aren't playing again. Unless Richards suffers a similar fate which is kind of weird to be hoping for the player to get hurt,the Rangers will be stuck with him. He will be 34 during this season. Richards is under contract until he is 40. What's the big deal with buying him out after this season even if he scores 100 points? He will have six more seasons remaining on the contract. The Rangers are really pushing their luck hoping to squeeze 1 or 2 more good years out of Richards if they keep him when he will be 35/36 years old. Lundqvist will get between $8M-$9M in a long term deal. You're going to have 2 guys in the 30s tying $14M-$16M in cap space. Even with the cap at $80M in 3-4 years,that's 20%-25% of the cap. The Rangers can't put Richards on long-term IR with body soreness and the sniffles until 2020.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote