Thread: Advice: Off-Ice Workouts
View Single Post
Old
10-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Scotty21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I play hockey once a week and I'm hoping to play a little more (and get a lot better). I'm a beginner and I only started last year. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm small and I'd like to get a lot stronger/bigger. I have pretty good lower body stability and strength already, and I'm working on my skating.

Anyway, I'm about 5'10 and 150 lbs.

A big part of this is going to be eating a lot more. I know this because I've tried over time to gain weight and I've always had problems with it (even when I work out religiously).

Right now I'm looking at doing 1 minute kettlebell swings with a 35lb KB, pyramid designed pull-ups until I reach a max (so say, 1, then 2 up to about 10 right now and then down again), renegade rows with the 35lb KB and bulgarian split squats. I also have access to a goodlife gym at which I do bench press and deadlifting occasionally.
Sounds almost exactly like me. I am 24yrs old, 5'10 and 158-160 lbs and have always had trouble putting on significant weight/muscle mass. I have recently attempted to put on weight again, so I thought I'd share what has helped me.

Yes, you will definitely have to eat more. But make sure your are upping your calorie intake with GOOD nutritional calories. What I mean is don't go eating 1000 calories of fried foods. You need lean protein, fruits, veggies etc. This article explains it pretty well. I also have been making the smoothie he mentions in the article every morning for the last month. I am not a big breakfast person so this helped me tremendously to increase my calorie intake. I also started making green smoothies at night as well to get in even more fruits and veggies. Now since I have only been doing this for the past few weeks, I don't expect to see significant weight gain yet, but I can tell you I don't feel like its a struggle to keep/maintain my weight. If I did not put any effort in to gaining weight, my natural weight would be around 150-155. But smoothies should definitely be your best friend!

As for weightlifting, you should be doing mostly exercise that work major muscle groups. Looking at your weightlifting routine, it seems like you pretty much do that. Although, I would recommend doing regular squats with a barbell as well. That should be in every weight gaining exercise routing IMO.

Btw how old are you? Reason I am asking is that when I was under 20, my metabolism was so fast that it was near impossible for me to put on any weight no matter how much I ate.

Scotty21 is offline   Reply With Quote