View Single Post
Old
01-18-2004, 12:01 PM
NWT Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Aristotle
I am from manitoba and i can personally see a NHL team thinking of coming back to Winnipeg. With a new 15 000 arena with many new luxury boxes and a rising loonie I can see the city being alluring to an owner. The attendance was down before because of their arena and the team. The Winnipeg arena, I think was built in 1955 and is old. Winnipeg arena has seating capacity of 14 000 for hockey games and has very few luxury boxes. The attendance was down in the later years because they traded away some good players like Hawerchuck and Selanne. Also the owners let the city and the province know that they were going to move and the fans did not want to support the team anymore. If an nhl team does come back they will survive if certain changes are made. One thing is a new arena. Which is being built. Another thing is if they make the transit system and parking better downtown were the arena is being built. Another is if they have Friday and Saturday evening games and Sunday afternoon games they will survive as people across the province will come and support the Winnipeg franchise. Another thing is that they should call the Winnipeg franchise the "Manitoba Jets" because if they do that I think they will receive more support from people across Friendly Manitoba. Anyways that is my opinion. Like it or not.
When I lived in Thunder Bay I had the chance to do a few road trips to Wpg to see the Jets. I have never been in an arena with such a steeper upper deck. That was mountain goat country up there!! The beer didn't help...lol.

I saw Gretzky score his 2000th point in that arena, so it will always have a special place in my personal NHL memories. With the new Moose arena being built downtown in the old Eaton's store site, that is a great location. I know they are building lots of luxure boxes a la NHL arena standard, but the 15,000 seats seems small, especially for a Canadian market. Revenues in Cdn dollars and expenses in US bucks likely demand more seats than that.