Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Kreider and Mashinter recalled to Rangers
View Single Post
Old
10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
As much as some people would like to believe they aren't, picks like Jamie Benn (2007, 5th Rd) and Brendan Gallagher (2010, 5th Rd) are complete draft anomalies, and are the complete exception to the rule. Who would you have drafted in 2011 over Miller? Saad? In hindsight, it's easy to say that. 2012? Matteau? Please. 2013, we didn't even have a first, so they swung for the fences at late round hopefuls, which is all you can do with no first. If you're pessimistic about this team's drafting in the last few years, I don't really know what to tell you. Because somebody needs to find me these obvious late round superstars we keep missing out on.
I'm generally not pessimistic about the Rangers recent drafting. They have done an admirable job with their early picks from non-premium draft positions, and found several late round gems. That said, I fully believe that the current state of this team is defined by 3 drafts, 1 in which they got incredibly unlucky, and 2 in which they just plain old ****ed up.

2003 - yes, this was a long time ago now, but literally half of that first round are all-stars. I will take the Jessiman regret to my grave since that was the first draft I really paid attention to.

2007 - bad luck, and a tragedy for such a promising young player. I remember my heart racing as Cherry started his fall into our laps - such a bummer.

2010 - I know people like to defend this one, but given the state of the team and the league, you cannot pass up on a talent like Tarasenko for a project defenseman whose player type has been largely marginalized in the modern NHL. That pick was a mistake.

Of course the entire trajectory of the team could/would have been different had they not swung and missed in Jessiman 10 years ago, but even if you take that potential player out of the equation, this current team looks a hell of a lot more balanced and dangerous with the two stud Russian wingers providing secondary (and maybe even primary) scoring.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote