View Single Post
Old
10-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
My question is why hate him so much? Its not warranted. Not even close.

I think people forget that Lowe was only a GM for eight years. His tenure finished in 2008. New ownership took over and installed their stooge who could be counted on to follow the playbook. How anything that happened after 2008 could be mostly blamed on Lowe is just some logic that I don't follow - particularly when anyone can see that the team went from one that scrabbled hard for every point and hung around in the standings most seasons under Lowe and the EIG .... to a team that nearly set NHL records for sucking under Katz and Tamby. Yet Lowe is the bad guy here? Sounds to me like he's a convenient scapegoat for a lot of pent up fanbase rage created by stuff that mostly happened after 2008. And that would be stuff that mostly falls on Tamby and Katz.

As for his list of failings that is pointed to so often, its actually not that long.

- Comrie. Fair enough he ****ed that up. But I think people need to remember that this was a GM who was only two years removed from his playing career. He was inexperienced and he botched the deal. It happens. Fences were mended.

- Burke. I think Issak16 said it well. Lowe shot off his mouth, but it was something that had to be done at the time. Didn't need to badmouth the player though.

-Smyth. Lowe stood on his convictions with Smyth (probably having learned something from how Horc's deal came back to bite him) and ended up not being able to attend the ceremony for Messier for fear of being booed out of the building. Anyone here think he made the wrong call?

- Horcoff. This is the one I hold against Lowe the most. Unforgivably bad deal. He panicked and totally misread the player and the market.

So yeah, the guy has made mistakes. And yeah he shoots off his mouth sometimes when he should be more professional. But to have fans come on this Oiler site and call him a disease? To actually be a fan of the Oilers and go out of your way to mock the man for having won five SC in Edmonton (must not have been watching when he played the entire 88 playoffs with a broken wrist and broken ribs)?

I dunno ... just seems like a lot of misplaced anger to me.
He is a huge part of being such a dick that FA don't want to be here.

He is totally unaccountable and yet acts like a real ass if even slightly questioned.

As shown in the very 1st post of this thread he's done an AWFUL job as the head hockey honcho for the team. If 4 years of playoffs (one with him as coach) out of 13 years and only winning a playoff series in one of those 13 years is fine by you then we have a very different view of what is acceptable.

The team has been awful
He's failed at many things he's tried.
He acts like a pouting child if questioned.

Three pretty good reasons. (And hate is such a strong word, I don't hate anyone. I just thing the team, the fans and the city deserve much better.)

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote