Old
10-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Kovy274Hart

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I pride myself on my panache.

That's sometimes true. The Rangers did have an identity. They made the Nash trade (and I still like the Nash deal) without having the pieces in place the replace what they gave up to get him. They didn't give up starts. But they did deal very specific kind off players for which they didn;t have internal replacements. They were also the kind of player that they have had trouble drafting and developing. That lack of internal options made them have to deal Gaborik to fill those spots and give the roster players who would fit into the coach's system.Then they fired the coach. This is the perfect example of a directionless organization with no vision or long-term plan.
I never wanted Nash. I felt it was classic overreaction by Slats based on media complaints. "They don't score enough and block shots." So, he gives in and gets Nash moving core pieces that were part of team strength. I get the rationale for getting him. Acquiring a second scorer to complement Gaborik. It backfired. He accepted a deal to Columbus and ironically is reunited with Dubinsky and Anisimov. The move worked initially because it gave Tort more versatility. Brassard played well and Moore overachieved. It can still work out. But looks like it'll take time.

I was in favor of keeping the 2012 roster together. Everyone had a role and played it well under Tort. There was much better depth. By subtracting Arty, Dubi and then losing Prust, Fedotenko and Mitchell to free agency, Sather didn't adequately replace the missing parts. Instead, he threw a band aid on it hoping Pyatt and Asham would work. One is already gone while the other is AV's pet from Vancouver.

Take away Callahan and they are very soft. He's the foundation. In the past, they could rely on Dubinsky and Prust to play the same gritty game. Our team was harder to play against. The way Cally plays, injuries are common. That makes him a risk signing long term. But they have no choice. Now, Nash has concussion history on top of being soft. A bad combo with that contract. No wonder Columbus wanted to get rid of him.

Until kids like Kreider, Miller, Kristo, Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik, McIlrath develop, the team will struggle because the overall depth sucks. They need better from Zuccarello and Pouliot's done zilch aside from his hit on Salvador. He has talent but there's a reason he's on his fifth roster at 27. It's up to Vigneault to get the most out of it. Though I don't think Miller should be up playing second line. And Fast probably has to go back down. As for Kreider, who knows if he's ready? He doesn't have a ton of NHL experience. They were forced to recall him out of necessity. Hope he gets it.

It's a team without an identity. All created by Slats' poor decision making. Firing Tort on top of the Nash deal and replacing him with a much softer coach is radical. As you said, the personnel doesn't fit the system. They have to get back to playing the way they did under Tort. Ironic. Great post by you.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote