View Single Post
Old
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Halibut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I guess we have to determine what being "good" at his job would look like.

During his tenure as GM the team lost three times to the Stars in the quarter finals, failed to qualify for post season three times and made one run all the way to the SC Finals. Given the budget constraints he was operating under at the time, and the mathematical realities of a thirty team league, I think that's a more than decent record for an eight year period. Is it "good"? Maybe not, but many teams around the league would have had a worse performance over those eight years.

We're not just talking about his tenure as GM though. He became president of hockey operations 5 years ago and what exactly has happened since then that gives us hope for the future? A lot of failure on the ice, failure to hire the right people to get this team moving in the right direction, a lot of old buddies being given jobs coaching or scouting for the organization without question of merit. If Tambellini was as bad a GM as everyone says, and it's hard to argue that, why did it take 5 years to get rid of him? Why havent they worked on changing the make up of this team beyond the occasional fourth line thug they've managed to pick up or their first overall draft picks?

Maybe we just need to be patient but the act is wearing thin. The old boys club looks they should be a thing of the past. I'd rather remember them for their playing days than deal with them in management.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote