View Single Post
Old
10-22-2013, 10:27 AM
ganave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I played goalie Thursday night for the first time in a month and a half. Did pretty well. Shutout the skaters on a couple of drills but not all. When I get tired though I snowball. We started a half ice game. I stopped like 7 of my first 8. Got tired and gave up something like 7 shots in a row lol. Five hole gets so wide you can drive a Mack truck through it. Can't figure out how to butterfly. I loosen my leg pads a lot but they still just go face down into the ice. I think I'm going to start going down to one knee instead of trying for both.
You'll want to sort out equipment problems if the pads aren't rotating - I suggest having everything as loose as possible and then gradually tightening up the pads from there.

1) Make sure you have enough slack in your toeties. Ideally 1" to 1.5". I would also be so crazy to suggest NOT trying your toe ties to your skates. Obviously don't do this in a game. Without the proper toetie slack it will pull the pads flat to the ice instead of rotating and also put strain in your knees.
2) Straps: I like to strap the boot strap through the heel of my skate - again make sure this is fairly loose.
3) 3 calf straps - again loose to start with. You don't want anything impeding the rotation.
4) Velcro behind knee - eh, fairly snug
5) Two strap buckles at the top of the pad - lol - so loose they don't do anything.

I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to butterfly when I started because my pads weren't rotating. I found that by starting everything really loose I could butterly. Gradually I dialed my pads into a better 'fit'.

That said if the pads are the wrong size, they might never rotate properly. I have a pair of warrior swaggers that I bought new that would sometimes rotate, but after using them for a year I went back to my reebook kohos.

Also don't worry about having a wide butterfly.

Last edited by ganave: 10-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
ganave is offline   Reply With Quote