Old
12-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Ferland's not getting called up this year because he has to clear re-entry waivers. He makes the league minimum, which means if claimed on re-entry a team would only have to count half of his salary to the cap. Who wouldn't want a young grinder even if he was just used as a 13th/14th forward? when Ferland didn't make the team out of training camp, it meant that he doesn't get another chance to make the team until next year. Also, Montreal not only doesn't want to risk losing the asset that Ferland is, but also losing close to $250k in salary cap space for this year, since we're pretty tight to the cap as is.
Mm. But the re-entry waivers only apply to 1-way contracts, or to 2-way contracts above a certain threshold on the AHL scale (was it $75k?). I would have assumed that Ferland's AHL salary would be kept below the threshold, as almost all young players are, precisely so that they can indeed be recalled without clearing re-entry waivers. I don't think that's an issue at all for Ferland.

But of course, I also don't think any other team would be remotely interested in claiming him. As they weren't when he cleared waivers earlier this season. As they most likely wouldn't be interested even in Murray if he was demoted. Pluggers like these guys are pretty much a dime a dozen and can be found in every team's organisation.

On the bright side (knocking on wood) it seems like Ferland is at least managing to stay healthy for the first time ever and he seems to be on track for a career season scoring-wise too (a mini-Milroy breakout if you will). But still, let's not fool ourselves, a guy with 25 total goals over 4 AHL seasons is not going to draw any interest from other teams.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote