View Single Post
Old
10-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Nice assessment, I did notice Draisaitl's skating the few times I keyed in on him and in some highlight videos. It's a bit of an awkward stride, but I have to be careful not to be too critical when it comes to skating. If I don't like a stride a lot of times I don't like a player, it's the first thing I'll notice most of the time. The thing is that it's somewhat of an optical illusion too, he's a pretty big kid and those kinds of players tend to look a little funky at times especially when surrounded by smaller/shiftier players.

It's still early and I haven't seen too much of any of the top 5 to actually make a good judgment on them. Draisaitl is one of those exciting players who you tend to fantasize about because of the combination of skill and size. Unfortunately those are also the ones that tend to disappoint. IE Kreider.
What you say is so true. When all is said and done, LD is going to smooth out his skating and it's not going to get in his way of getting to the NHL.

However, this is the wrong crop to have the slightest flaw. Right now, LD sticks out for his skating and is the difference - there's no sugar coating it.

Dal Colle can snipe and dangle just as good. Virtanen can blaze and release. Perlini's skating is smooth as hell and has a variety of tricks to beat the goalie. McCann has no flaw whatsoever.

It's gonna be tough to crack the group, but when on he's a gamer.

Kreider's a burner who can't handle the puck like LD. As far as my scouting is concerned, if you don't handle - make that manhandle the puck - I'm not looking at you with a first round pick. It's very important guys can lead rushes and create at that level based off of skill not speed and LD can.

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 10-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.