View Single Post
Old
10-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The GM's of the Red Wings, Devils, Sharks, Bruins, Ducks, Blues, Canucks, Kings, to name a few.
I'll give you the Wings and to a point Boston.

The other teams were not very competitive certain years, they sucked it up and drafted well.

I'm not trying to defend Sather here people, I think he's pretty poor I just think there are other influences that come into play. The fish rots from the head down, well there is someone above him that hired him and keeps him employed. There are reasons he is here.

If I wanted to blame Sather entirely, to me that would be like blaming Torts or even Renney completely for the Rangers those years. There is something else going on on top of Sather being a mediocre to poor GM in terms of building a true contender.

My take, there is no pressure on him to do so and no consequences for not doing so as long as the other important financial factors are in line. Look to how Chicago changed with new ownership. Look to what the Blues are doing now. Lemieux in Pitt. Having ownership that give a crap means something, usually it means the GM is required to build towards something within a reasonable amount of time in order to be retained.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote