View Single Post
Old
10-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Question for ya if you don't mind. I know you are,well,seasoned and thus around to witness the entirety of Orr's career. Would you say his short career was to due injuries caused by his style of play. Or was it a sort if freak occurrence that lead to an original injury that snowballed?
It was just a perfect storm of several factors really but yes essentially, just the way he played the game. He was vulnerable to low hits and believe me, guys in the league knew it. He had a bad habit of sometimes skating with his head down, at other times trying to power his way through defenders who would adjust and hit him low. He was a left hand shot who led with his left knee but played on right defence so his left knee took all the punishment (something like 13-14 operations on it) when on offence. His right knee throughout his career virtually untouched. He actually got nailed in his rookie season by Marcel Pronovost (one of the greatest checkers to have ever played the game) into the boards, not an open ice hit per se' on that left knee & missed 9 games thereafter, never really fully recovering. Absent that hit, the start of his problems, the imagination just reels at the possibilities. Still though, the old wily vets like Pronovost wouldve figured him out, specifically targeting that lead left knee... cruel I know. But such is the life of a professional athlete.

Its a Jungle out there.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote