View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
smcgreg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
More RH sticks are sold in the US, more LH sticks in Canada, as someone has already pointed out. But as far as I know, there is not a significant difference between the countries among NHL players.

One possible explanation for this disappearing difference is that all of those "extra" RH shots in the US are latecomers who shoot RH due to playing other sports first. Another explanation might be that the LH shots who are righthanded have an absolute edge over their RH-shooting counterparts that corrects the imbalance in the US naturally.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about shortchanging your kid.
If I read your latter interpretation correctly, then he would be shortchanging his kid and it would be something to worry about. I am from the Great White North, am RH and shoot LH. When I grew up, everybody I knew did it that way. I haven't lived in Canada in 20 yrs, so, I don't know if it's like that anymore, but 40 yr ago, when I was learning, that's the way it was. In the states, you often have a hard time finding LH shooting sticks. There are many more RH sticks and many more RH shooters. My interpretation of this has always been that, as others have mentioned, in the states there are more late comers to the sport and they feel they should shoot RH if RH, probably from experience in other sports. Since it's universally accepted that control while stickhandling comes from the top hand though, it makes more sense to have young learners use a LH stick if right handed and vice versa. Just because a kid grabs a stick a certain way with no inkling of how to use it, I'm not sure it's in their best interest to pick their stick that way. A little bit of direction goes a long way at an early age. Since a 4 or 5 yr old isn't thinking about how to dangle, they might not make the best long term choice. It's not "over thinking it" if you're just thinking about it.

Now the counter argument could be all the examples of RH that shoot RH and LH that shoot LH in the NHL, or on this board, but the simple fact that control comes from the top hand on the stick indicates a bit of direction in that regard isn't going to hurt in the long run and might actually help. Once the kid has been playing for a year, the decision has probably been cemented.

I have a son who is a Mite and has been playing for 4 or 5 yr. I don't recall the specifics when we were going through this process, but I do recall that I did correct him from trying to use the stick as a RH since he is RH. That was my experience. It was only on a couple occasions and that was enough. I have a daughter who is 5 and we've been going through the same thing to a certain extent. We're not sure if she'll play hockey (she's a figure skater right now), but when we're playing in the driveway, I have her shoot LH when she tries to play RH. If she goes into hockey, she'll be pretty good, so, I think a bit of direction as she's learning to use a stick is fine.

my $.02

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote