View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 08:26 AM
JaeTM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
I agree very much with the underlined. Girardi should have been traded right after his all star year. If you don't think a player will continue to perform at a high level trade him before his stock drops. For example, I think trading Stepan over the summer was a good idea, because he was unlikely to repeat his performance from last year. The players we would have gotten for him is worth much more than his value once he can't continue his elite play. Sell an average player while he's playing elite for a larger return than he's worth.

What I don't agree with is trading a proven commodity for someone who hasn't even completed 1 season in the NHL. Trading McDonagh for Jones or MacKinnon is foolish imo. McDonagh is a top 20 dman in the league right now at the very least. He is still developing, only going to improve. Trading him for a rookie in the hope that we end up ahead is too large of a gamble to take.

What I would do though, is trade proven commodity for proven commodity. McDonagh for Hall/ Tavares/ Duchene/ Couture.
What...? No...When Girardi was an All-Star we were in win-now mode, making a deal for Nash. We were looking to win the Cup. Why would you trade your #1 RHD?

And trade Stepan? At 23 years old!? He's increased his point totals every year he's been in the league and played just under a PPG pace last year. He probably would have finished around 70. You do not trade him unless someone calls and offers something ridiculous.

And then you go on about not wanting to trade McDonagh because he's "proven." How is Stepan not proven? With Richards being a HUGE question mark (and even switching to wing), Stepan is our only legit #1 center. Even if Step wasn't proven, how do you become proven, without giving the kid a shot? We'd just see him become a stud on another team. No thanks.