Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Kreider and Mashinter recalled to Rangers
View Single Post
10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
NYR Viper
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Thornton can skate though. That's what is really holding Mashinter back from being a regular NHLer. Mash isn't a bad hockey player, and if he could skate, I'd be just fine with him being a 4th liner on this team. He's a good scrapper and can forecheck very well. Unfortunately he has a very hard time getting in on the forecheck to begin with at this level.
Thornton can skate, yes. But I'm sure he had his issues or else he would have made it earlier. Same goes for Mash.

Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I'd also like to add that Shawn Thornton is significantly helped by having two of the best 4th liners in the game on his line. Campbell is one of the best 4C in the league, and Paille is just a really good 4th liner. Would say he scores maybe 5 points separated from them. If Mashinter sticks at the NHL level and continues to play with good 4th liners like Dorsett and D. Moore (wouldn't put Boyle on the same line as him), some points will come. He's not offensively inept, he has the ability to score.

Also, if he sticks in the NHL, his skating will improve IMO.

Edit: Oh, I thought Paille was a center this whole time. Oop.
Exactly, it's the right fit. He had a great fit in Anaheim too when he was there.

Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A player has to continue to develop his skills--when he gets a shot he has to take advantage of it--find a niche. Have to be a good enough skater--have to be reliable defensively--have to be able to add an ingredient that the team lacks. That's pretty much how Thornton made it. Guys like Engelland or Matt Carkner--pretty much the same kind of scenario but d-men examples.
Exactly. It takes some guys longer. Bickell is another example of a big guy taking a long time.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote