View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this is 100% true, for the 3rd line anyhow (i don't think 4th lines matter at all actually)... but it makes a certain assumption, that being: any team that has any hope of making it to the final 4 teams must have a very good top line.... put another way, a very good 1st line is necessary, but not sufficient, to being a very good NHL team .... this necessary, but not sufficient, attribute is also somewhat true of 2nd lines in the playoffs as well IMO, although the rule isn't as stringent as with 1st lines

that 3rd line dominance in the playoffs is then what often separates good teams from great teams, again assuming they all have top-lines that are playing well
Going into the rebuild, I heard a lot of people talk about how you can't be a true contender with out top end elite talent. And now, all of a sudden, third liners are the key. Pretty funny.

Anyway, we all agree that good teams have depth, the question is whether trading away top talent for depth players is a good idea. I can't think of any team that has done that and been successful as a result.