View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
skorf

vCash: 500
I'm against trading our first rounder, with how strong our division is, there's a good chance we are out of the playoffs even with a guy like Girardi. I'd love Girardi but we already don't have a second rounder. I hate the idea of trading potential players in 3 years for a guy now (one that would have no reason not to test the free agent market if he comes here)... plus look at some of the guys picked between 5-14 the last few years.

As for the 3rd/4th line argument. I'd say we have a solid enough 3rd and 4th line once everyone gets healthy. Hall, Perron, Gagner, Nuge, Arcobello, Gordon, Hemsky, Yak, Eberle, Joensuu, Acton, Pitlick, Gazdic, Smyth... not a bad 14 guys to have for forwards (can add in Jones and Pitlick too if you want, that's 16 guys that I'd say are NHL caliber).
If anything, our top guys need to develop better 2 way games, but that takes time. I'd argue Patrick Kane is a solid 2 way player now, but he wasn't his first few years. Overall I'd say forward isn't where we need to improve

What we need is that top pairing D (everyone is looking at forwards, but EVERY NHL champion has a top pairing D). Keith, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer (I guess the Penguins didn't really have one or Carolina, but the last 4 champs have)

Someone better than a Girardi or a Cobourn. If we're moving a guy like Yakupov or Eberle... I'd rather see us target that D we need, even if we have to overpay. Rather than trade Yakupov for 2-3 more forwards to our forward group.

Also I'd take right now
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Gordon/Yak
Gagner/Arco/Hemsky
Joensuu/Acton/Smyth
-Gazdic, Jones
over
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Schenn/Gagner
Simmonds/Gordon/Hemsky
Joensuu/Arco/Acton
-Gazdic, Smyth