View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I will Help in this Defense of Holmgren.

1. Any and every GM looks bad in 20/20 Hindsight.
2. No fanbase is ever happy with their GM. Even Devil Fans want to ax Lamoriello.

That Being Said.

1.Homer Made 2 of the gutsiest moves in franchise history by trading Carter and Richards. Carter imo is still an elite player but Richards has really fallen off and if he ever gets seperated from Carter His point production will drop off big time. I really think these deals will benefit us in the long run.

2. Homer Signs his guys to great cap hits.

3. When he has picks he drafts well. We all questioned that Laughton pick but that pick is looking better and better. Finding Guys like Mcginn and Rinaldo late have been pretty sweet, as well as undrafted free agents like Matt Read.

I think one of the Problems he and most Gm's face is the ability to win now. Winning now strategy is a great way to ruin your franchise. You need to have the right pieces in place and have an overall organizational strategy to win now. If you look at the flyers this is my biggest complaint. The roster as it is assembled now is just a hodge podge of players.

In 2011 we rolled 3 lines that could score and had a 4th line that featured 2 double digit scorers. We were going to win games with our offense and made no bones about it.

Now we have those same players with a new coach and a diffrent style of play. To me that is one of the reasons why we are struggling to score. Plus we have added 2 old free agents to long term deals that really dont mesh well with our under 30 roster.

I feel if homer was not under pressure to win every year he would have a chance to actually assemble a roster that complimented each other
GMs get far to much credit/blame for drafting. That is more due to the scouting staff than anything else.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote