View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
fauxflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Which part? The part where Couturier is a top defensive center or the part where the team's offense isn't working out?
The part where the Flyers allow more goals against than the majority other teams in the league. Not that he's the reason, but if Coots was out there neutralizing top opposing players consistently, and being this "top defensive forward" in the league, I think the Flyers would be doing better in that department. It's one thing for the coach to deploy a player in tough situations and against top competition, it's another thing for the player to be successful at it. I know we've all seen the admirable efforts to thwart Malkin/Crosby in a couple of their games, but there are 28 other teams in the league where that hasn't necessarily the case. Bundy (Therien) seemed to be able to raise his game and keep Jagr in check..did this make him a Norris candidate? No. Again, look at the stats that show opposing teams' ability to score goals when Couturier is on the ice (even str and PK) versus others, even players that face tough competition...you'll find he grades out as kind of average and not this "top defensive forward" and/or "future Selke" type young player. I'm not saying Coots will never pan out...as I said, I advocate being patient because it's way too early to be making that kind of call, but I do think he's overrated in terms of where his game has been at for the past year or so, particularly on the defensive side...