View Single Post
Old
10-24-2013, 05:47 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
I'm against trading our first rounder, with how strong our division is, there's a good chance we are out of the playoffs even with a guy like Girardi. I'd love Girardi but we already don't have a second rounder. I hate the idea of trading potential players in 3 years for a guy now (one that would have no reason not to test the free agent market if he comes here)... plus look at some of the guys picked between 5-14 the last few years.
If a guy like Girardi can come in and help, and also sign an extension, I have no problem giving a 1st for him.

People forget how much time it takes young players to refine their game. The Pietreangelo and OEL's of the world skew views of D-man imo. Not all of them can come in and not look out of place right away. Look at Petry. Right now, he's playing far more consistent than he has in the past, and he looks like he belongs playing hard minutes more times than not. Go back last season, and most of this board would've dumped him for Arron Asham.

We have a ton of quality young talent. What we need quality veterans. Most of the NYR board think Girardi will shopped. If that is the case, we have to interested. He's not a Weber or whatever, but for a team that for the first time in nearly half a decade brought in a top-4 guy this offseason (Ference), we'd be idiots not to consider him. He's a D-man who can and has played tough minutes. Good veteran presence. Has a decent enough break out IIRC (ie along the boards is not his only option) and is physical. He fills a whole bunch of needs for us.

If he's willing to sign an extension, you drive that 1st round pick to the airport yourself.