View Single Post
10-25-2013, 11:47 AM
vCash: 500
Bobby Orr

Originally Posted by BadgerBruce View Post
You are correct, that is typically how the system operated. And I'm just tickling Killion's ribs for playful sport here -- all in good fun.

Bigger picture here is that the distinction between team/player/association sponsorship didn't usually make any significant difference.

I probably shouldn't have referred to Orr here to make my point, since his situation was unique. Rick Thomas's "Early Hockey Years in Parry Sound-- Part II" (The Orr/Crisp Years) offers greater details, as does the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame
The Bobby Orr reference is very to the point. The precise details are nice to know but do not change the key elements.

In the mid fifties, Jean Ratelle and Rod Gilbert were the prospects in Montreal East. The Rangers via the Guelph Biltmores, sponsored their team and a number of other teams and associations in the east end of Montreal. Likewise in the early sixties, Bernie Parent in the Rosemount district in Montreal went to the Bruins under similar circumstances. The local organizations were no longer beholden to the Canadiens and Leafs.The early NHL Entry Drafts 1963-1969 reflect this.

The money that the Bruins spent in Parry Sound or elsewhere, the Rangers in east end Montreal or elsewhere was short term. Key was that by spending the money the NHL organizations legitimized local youth hockey down to the youngest levels. Building long term and short term sponsorship arrangements at the local level became much easier. Team, association, tournament sponsorship grew beyond dream levels.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote