View Single Post
Old
10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Toews has the intangibles early - whereas Modano learned them by about his 7th season. No doubt Toews is more of a "complete" player in his early 20s than Modano was, but I'll wait to see the rest of Toews' career (or at least in to his late 20s/early 30s) before I put a stamp on things. If Toews remains as is, that level of play isn't better than Modano's level of play when he was in his prime. So to me, Toews still has a way to go regardless of his team successes.
Oh sure, longevity and consistency go to Modano here. We'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Yeah, perhaps. I've liked Toews ever since he scored that fancy goal on Colorado in his rookie season, but some of those things you listed there, like the cup wins, are team related and Chicago and Canada have had some pretty good teams to work with. Modano was pretty good early on too, I think he was a Calder Trophy runner up at 19 to 31 year old Makarov, then he had a 20 points playoff at 20, scored 50 goals at 23, and it was not even in the 9293 season when everyone scored 50. But I agree, Toews is definitely better defensively early on, but he hasn't shown to be world beater offensively.

"This is the kind of talent that can bring a franchise back from dead."

I think though when you have the kind of contribution that Toews did for all of those wins (the two Cups and the Olympics) it goes beyond just team success. Brent Seabrook was on all of those teams too, but had far less of an impact than Toews did (nothing against Seabrook's contributions of course). So when a player is directly involved in why the team won, then I always tend to value him higher.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote