View Single Post
Old
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I don't see this as a great statistic to indicate that the Flames are scoring more than expected. Atleast not in the sense that Calgary has suddenly put to rest the concerns that people had with them.

If anything, I would say it's more of an statement about how Edmonton is coming up short in the goal scoring department more than anything else. Which I am sure makes everyone in Calgary just as happy anyways but that's besides the point...

Back to Calgary...

They are 11th out of 16 in Western Conference scoring so for starters I don't think Edmonton is the bench mark to which Calgary should really be judged.

In addition, the big critisism against Calgary heading into the season was that they had no secondary scoring with their forwards and looking at the numbers suggests that this is exactly the case.

Of Calgary's 76 Goals, 15 have been from the blueline and of the 61 goals scored by the forwards, 30 have been from the top line.

So does having 50% of your forward scoring coming from a single forward line really demonstrate scoring depth? I wouldn't think so.
Now here is where I differ. I don't want to get too ahead of myself because the Flames have picked things up offensively lately, but I also think there is a little credit due. Part of the criticism of the Flames has been that the team is a one line team, and not even a great line at that. The criticism wasn't that the Flames had no secondary scoring, it was that it didn't have any scoring, especially when compared with the mighty Oiler juggernaut we were warned about.

The fact is, the Oiler machine was way overhyped and if you want proof, it doesn't take too long to dig it up. The Flames offensive abilities were way underrated. The Flames have moved up in the standings from 28th, to middle of the pack. That is a pretty healthy increase over the period of one year. On the first line alone, Calgary has two players who are moving dangerously close to your top scorer, and another who is fairly well ahead of him, in spite of getting of to a spotty start. Players on the second line, like Lombo and Huselius are performing near the Horcoffs and company. Horcoff, a guy who came off of the first Oiler line last year. To imply the Flames have no secondary scoring, is ridiculous.

You can juggle the statistics around all you like but the Flames have more scoring depth now, than they have had in several years. And the Flames struggled out of the gate. They have gone through a horrendous slide to start the year. We are only beginning to see what they are capable of.

It is true the Oilers have had some injuries, but the Flames went through a tremendous scoring slump to start the year, and the Oilers went through a hot streak. We will see how things compare a little later.

There is a lot of excitement about this Flames squad, because of the offensive spark they have shown. Although it may not play out this way all year, I think it is understandable that people are going to crow on here a little bit when the worm is beginning to turn don't you think?