View Single Post
10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
vCash: 734
ASF wrote about him during the summer. A name mentioned in the article as a comparison was Rick Tocchet. I usually don't prefer mentioning players of different eras, but Rinaldo's name has also been used in that way:

Nevertheless, the Flyers decision to draft Tyrell Goulbourne in the third round in the most recent draft has been a lightning rod of sorts on the InterWebs.

Whether it’s a fan blog complaining that the Flyers drafted him too early, or it’s an overtly detailed analysis by a writer comparing him to other available players and claiming it was a misstep by the Flyers, it’s all guess work.

Just like drafting players is guess work. Sure, having scouts watch players for a couple of years in junior hockey – or wherever they are playing when they are draft eligible – makes the guess substantially more educated, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be right.

As a matter of fact, come the third round, often it’s wrong, or at the very least, takes even longer to pan out.

In a previous story, I outlined that there was only a 17 percent success rate for third round picks – within certain parameters – drafted between 2003 and 2008.

So, the vitriol that has emanated about this pick and continues to do so this week is confounding to say the least, but I think I know why.

Had General Manager Paul Holmgren simply described Goulbourne’s game and not compare him to Rinaldo – as he did at the draft – most people would have been none the wiser.

He would have just been a third rounder who skates, kills penalties, competes like the dickens, blocks shots, is a great teammate and will run through a wall for his team – and everyone would have loved the description.

But comparing him to Rinaldo – who was a sixth round pick by the way – leaves many to believe there was more skilled players available at that point in the draft.

Maybe there was, maybe there wasn’t. We won’t know for several years. But here’s what I can tell you: On the Flyers draft board, the team had him rated in the exact spot where they picked him.

I know, I know… teams always say that. They always say they got their guy. But believe me when I tell you, that’s where he was. Those of you who are doubting Thomases still, I will offer video proof on this web site soon (Teaser Alert!)

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote