View Single Post
Old
10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Looking at slow motion I don't think his legs going up had any impact on the trip/stumble. Question is if he had just laid there and the same thing happened would it have still been called obstruction? I don't think so, it's tough to say but I don't like the call. I say if questionable, considering the circumstances, just let them play it out.
That's the million dollar question isn't it? Frankly, I think had Middlebrooks just laid prone and made no attempt at a trip by throwing up his legs obstruction probably wouldn't have gotten called. Umps might've thought "Well if he tried to get up and bumped Craig, that could've knocked him over so lying prone doing nothing would've been his best option."

Of course those scenarios implies intent is either a part of it or not. And in interviews and in articles after the play it has been noted that intent doesn't matter. If you obstruct on purpose or by happenstance, you've obstructed. So had Craig tripped over Middlebrooks with or without him flailing his legs the "right" call of obstruction should have been made. Basically a lose/lose situation for him.