View Single Post
Old
10-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Ya I dont know about that Gustafsson. Fact is, there really isnt any star currently playing in the NHL that transcends the sport and is capable of carrying his own brand, the NHL's & the game itself beyond fans & casual fans as being particularly recognizable beyond the sport. Crosby is currently tops & receives app $4M in endorsements per annum, Ovi $2M and Malkin in 3rd spot at just $400,000. None of them even make the Forbes Top 100 in Athlete Endorsements. Theres actually a thread on the BOH Board discussing this, comments made recently by Bruce McNall pursuant to the growth of the game (or lack thereof in the southern US) that "Crosby could walk into the lobby of a major hotel in LA and no one would recognize him" (words to that affect). Really, not since Gretzky has any player transcended the sport to the degree your suggesting and that includes both Crosby & Ovechkin. I expect we'll see his face a lot more leading up to & during the Sochi Olympics as were now seeing spots with Crosby in tv and on web based creative but still....
I agree with you overall.... because no player today is as GREAT as Wayne or Mario.... but the NHL has become more mainstream due to TV, NHLNetwork, Twitter, YouTube and the interwebs.... vehicles, players in the 90s didn't have at their disposal.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote