View Single Post
Old
12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
My problem with your post is that you are not considering the possibility that we lose Souray for nothing at the end of the season as a UFA.
Well, goes to show what you know about what I may or may not be considering. I take it for granted that we will lose Souray for "nothing" at the end of the season. (Although it would be a heckuva bonus if we somehow managed to re-sign him - but I'm definitely not expecting that). I do however put the quotation marks very much around "nothing", because I think in the new NHL the $5M of cap space that we might have budgeted to accomodate Souray can always be put to fabulous use if indeed he goes elsewhere for more on the market. Success this season, whatever we can accomplish in the playoffs (which will IMHO be far greater with Souray than with whatever we might hope to get in a trade for him) *plus* either Souray back or $5M to spend in the summer is a great haul. Better than Comrie and Ballard. Better than anything we will get in a trade for him. There is no such thing as losing a player for nothing anymore. And it's not something that should ever have concerned a competitive team anyway, even in the old days before the quotation marks came into play.

Quote:
Truthfully, without that reason, it just might be insane. Assume for one second that he does want to be closer to his daughter and he may choose not to sign here. Then what?
See above. Great for Sheldon, good for us either way.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote