View Single Post
10-28-2013, 04:25 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 on the Stars-Pens trade.

Neal was a 20 goal scoring winger and the Stars were stacked with wingers. Goligoski was looked at as a young promising PMD, Shero said he was untouchable unless a GM offered the right price and he got a young winger in return. Goligoski played great after the trade, Neal found chemistry with Malkin the season after the trade. Niskanen struggled in Dallas and even in Pittsburgh but he improved.

Like I said, in hindsight, you can't really fault JN for this trade, the Stars wanted a mobile defenseman and got one, and he played well, but he just didn't keep playing like he did after the trade. I'm a fan of Shero but I don't think he anticipated Neal becoming a 30-40 goal guy and finding chemistry with Malkin, and Niskanen finding his game and improving with the Penguins, I think we can credit Dan Bylsma for the improvement of both Neal and Niskanen, just like we probably can about Goligoski having a successful year that season. People like to say he's a bad coach, he has his flaws, every coach does, but he's a pretty good coach.
Maybe for some, more than a few people I know and I was included in this thought it was a horrific trade at the time and would only get worse. Obviously you aren't right all the time, but on this particular one those that thought that deal stunk to high heavens were correct.

I guess it depended on just how high you were on Neal. Will say I thought it was because Neal would explode on Crosby's wing not Malkin's wing however. That part I was wrong on.

Could see the Wings having interest in Gogo. Nill will certainly know our prospects well, but Dallas would have to take on cap dumps with the Wings salary situation.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote