View Single Post
Old
10-28-2013, 05:43 AM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I always thought Moulson was very underrated. If Buffalo wants to flip him, flip him to us. Doubt seriously he stays in Buffalo long.

On the other hand I never really liked Vanek.

The Islanders are taking the very real chance of breaking up a young group that has grown up together. Sometimes that works (i.e. 1980 Islanders) More often it doesn't.

This looks to me like one of those trades that may end up not helping either team.
Moulson is bad everywhere other than 10 feet of ice. It's an important 10 feet, but he provides nothing else. at all.

Also, Moulson isn't and wasn't a core piece to the long term success of the franchise. He wasn't going to be resigned for the ~5mil he'll be looking for this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Worth a first and a second? Considering Vanek is a UFA at the end of the year and there's already been talk of him wanting to go to Minnesota?
Talk is talk. Minnesota isn't going to have a lot of room with the cap and the Isles can offer Vanek more money and years if they really want to.

Moulson was going to be a guaranteed walk at the end of the year, so now it's an upgrade mid-season and they have the chance to re-sign him. Also, I wouldn't underestimate the connection Grabner and Vanek could have with it being an Olympic year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Not sure if some people are just looking at stats and thinking Moulson and Vanek are close, because they're not. If you're the Islanders, and you can trade a UFA that looks like he probably won't resign for a guy of Vanek's caliber, and lose a 2nd and mid-tier first, how do you not make that trade? You make that trade and take a shot at re-signing Vanek. Understandable move for both teams.
You're absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Ranger View Post
this is gonna be Ryan Smyth all over again for the islanders
He was traded for using prospects that never amounted to anything. I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat. Plus, this is a lot longer a stretch of time for Vanek to be playing with the Isles and a much different team.