View Single Post
10-28-2013, 08:57 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I realize that Vanek is the more dynamic player, but, is the production that much more by adding Vanek, especially since Vanek is prone to taking nights off. I think the Sabres did well. The Islander aspect is still up for grabs. And half this board would be saying 'same old Rangers if they made this type of deal.
If nothing else, it adds a legitimate threat to that top line, which should give JT more space and time. Moulson, on his best nights, was the ultimate complimentary player. He made a living off of burying chances generated from Tavares. Vanek, on the other hand, can generate chances himself. Both players are known for a lack of consistency, but Vanek should have the upper hand given that he's coming to a team that is on the upswing and is getting out of a very ****** situation in Buffalo.

I get what you're saying about the 'same old Rangers', but in this case it's the Islanders signaling that they're moving out of their rebuild and they want to start contending each year. That says a lot to the fans as well as the players. In this instance, it'd equate to Sather coming out of his hole and signaling a rebuild by dealing off a lot of mistakes and core pieces he's added over the last few years. It's a big change for the Islanders mentality.