View Single Post
Old
10-28-2013, 10:26 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If Jones/Josi and Klein/Ekholm can be out top 4 we trade Weber for a bonafide number 1 center or goal scorer plus another top 6 forward and a number 1 pick. That way we finally solidify the forward spots moving forward with the young depth we have now. Take our feelings out of it for a second and if we were to add a kopitar or getzlaf type to this team and still have the others as our top 4 on d we maximized an asset an Jones can be the franchise of the team. I would wait to make sure he and Ekholm can handle the minutes and NHL and if they can you move weber.
The several big IFs in your statement are what make trading Weber now highly unlikely. Josi's health is an issue. Ekholm's top 4 status is really unproven. Jones has 12 good games under his belt ... then again, so did Craig Smith and Jon Blum in their first appearances with the team. Much of his success to date is because of his partner ... he can make mistakes without worrying about them all blowing up in his face.

If the top four is workable without Weber, the next question becomes who do you trade for? As talented as Vanek and Moulson are, I would hesitate to ship a long term signed top tier player for an impending UFA. The risks are immense with that type of trade ... lose a stud on the blue line for a temporary fill up front then need to replace both next summer.

Not trading Weber for a rental places some severe limitations on potential partners. Maybe Edmonton? Florida? Philly?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote