View Single Post
Old
01-19-2004, 04:47 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

vCash: 500
This is getting pretty silly. Everybody take a deep breath or count to 10 or whatever it takes.

I think a lot of the argument at last season's trade deadline wasn't so much that Niinimaa was an untouchable... it was over the rumoured Niinimaa for Isbister trade that was supposedly in the works. A lot of us felt that a Niinimaa for Isbister deal was grossly unfair to the Oilers, and not just because Niinimaa was a valuable player but also because Isbister was inconsistent, injury prone, overpaid, and hugely overrated. A year later, Niinimaa is still a valuable player, and Isbister is still inconsistent, injury prone, and overpaid (but nobody overrates him anymore, at least.) A year ago, picking up a struggling Isbister at the expense of our best defenseman (although, not playing like it due to the knee injury) wasn't an idea that made much sense. Now, the Oilers are lacking a PP QB and Isbister still sucks. A year ago, it made more sense to us to hang on to Niinimaa and move Smith instead. Right now, I think most of us would rather have Niinimaa than Smith if it were possible.

But right now it looks a lot more like the "Niinimaa for Torres" trade than the "Niinimaa for Isbister" trade, and with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think many Oiler fans are upset about the deal anymore.