View Single Post
Old
10-28-2013, 10:21 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeboy View Post
I keep thinking of Duchy, Staz, and Landy as rookies. Only Staz who came up from college was anywhere near nhl ready. They all have matured and let's hope Big Mac does the same. I've seen the last two games in person and he is very fast. His athleticism is not the question, but really how long will his growth curve be?
My guess is as good as yours but I really like what Roy is doing with limiting his minutes (especially in the defensive zone and late in periods/games.) I think he understands that as talented as Nate is there is a huge amount of growth required for him to be a superstar in his own right and is trying his best to not put him in a situation where he can fail and potentially have his confidence shaken (ala Duchene under Sacco.)

If he continues with this course, I'd say we're looking at continued offensive creation but at a slower rate and a good year or three before he really takes over in his own right. I think it's probably the best move for the long run because he is going to be a work-horse and warrior for this team eventually. Injuries will allow him to briefly take on a larger role for several games but slow back down and let him develop further playing against the men at the highest level but under situations where he can be challenged, grow and has a shot at succeeding without blowing his confidence.

I'm impressed with his playmaking abilities. Much more than anything else. He's a fast as billed but his passing has been surprising. He's got the mind of an elite center in this league...it'll just take time for his body to catch up to it. I have no doubts it'll eventually do so...and on that day, it'll be good to be an AVs fan.