12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Latendresse at 19 years old > Kostitsyn at almost 22 years old

That is telling.

That said, I think Kostitsyn right now could give us what Samsonov does and at a fraction of the cost. Hindsight is 20/20 but right now I wish Gainey had gone with the kids instead of dipping into the UFA market this past summer. That cap room Samsonov takes up would come in really handy when we try to sign our d-men, Ryder and Higgins this summer to extensions.
100% agreement with that!

If we could find a way to move Samsonov (yes, even after his 1 excellent game) and give that job to Kostitsyn (not saying right now today, but at least some time before cap compliance day on Oct. 1, 2007) then I'd feel a little bit better about our situation in general.

On the otherhand, if there doesn't seem likely to be a way to move Samsonov, or if he just keeps playing excellent games the rest of the year and this does shape up to be a year where we have some chance, any chance - even as a darkhorse, to compete for the Cup and Kostitsyn is the price of adding a crucial component at the deadline (should such a component happen to be available)... well, that's what good teams do. It doesn't really have much to do with liking or disliking Kostitsyn. He is progressing nicely. He should have value to any rebuilding-oriented teams at the deadline. There are only so many such cards we'll have to play. And who knows, if our defense is decimated by free agency next summer, if our 3rd line is decimated, perhaps it will be a couple more years before we get a chance as good as this one. Live for the present, I say. Go for it when we can. We've reached the stage of organisational depth where we can actually afford to adopt that philosophy, and we should probably be pretty thankful as fans that we have.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote