View Single Post
Old
01-19-2004, 06:54 PM
gohabsgo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gohabsgo Send a message via MSN to gohabsgo Send a message via Yahoo to gohabsgo
I think Montreal has a definite shot at the playoffs. As of 5:10 AM today, Montreal sits in 6th place in the East (54 points: 23-16-6-2 record), tied with Boston, and within 4 points of 4th-place Ottawa. Even though I can't realistically see them overtaking Toronto for top spot in the division, they are only 5 points out. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

Let's be realistic: Montreal's had some outstanding play from a some guys that haven't produced much in the past, namely Souray and Ribeiro. I think the Habs will be lucky if this trend continues, but believe me no-one wants to see that more than me. Souray's gotta stay out of the penalty box a little more in the second half (58 minutes is 2nd on the team behind Darren Langdon's 84), and Ribeiro's gotta shoot the puck a little more (even though it looks sweet on his shooting percentage: 17.74%) I have been incredibly impressed with Michael Ryder and he's definitely a lead candidate for Rookie of the Year. I hope he doesn't crack under the pressure. I'd like to be a little more impressed with Koivu than I am, but he still has 26 points so that's not TERRIBLE. He definitely, though, has to pick up some slack.

I will definitely say this: the season lives and dies on the shoulders of Jose Theodore. He's one of the hottest goalies in the league right now, and I feel as though he's returned to his form of 2 years past. He has a save percentage of .929 and a GAA of just over 2, to compliment 5 shutouts. He's the horse that's gonna take them there if they're gonna make it.