View Single Post
10-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Behind Enemy Lines
vCash: 500
I'm quickly moving to apathy about this team. At 2-0 I saw the writing on the wall, turned off the tv and went on to something constructive with my time. Seven years, 3 first overall picks is enough, big money contracts for unproven potential, it's time to start winning.

Just as the Oil always seem to be plugging holes on their roster by creating new ones so it seems the coaching follows this pattern. Last year the Oil had top tier special teams and average at best 5 on 5 play and couldn't win a face off to save their lives. Now they suck on special teams including goofy decision to force feed PK minutes on top players like Nuge who hadn't penalty killed since bantam. I get the motivate by challenging schtick by Eatkins but for **** sake's when lumbering out of the gate with a killer schedule why not simplify instead of pushing wholesale changes in areas that have had success.

Mediocre goaltending has compounded the issues but this team looks bad, still displaying glaring decision making issues, continue to act like the Harlem Globetrotters passing their way out of prime scoring positions. Ill timed and Ill conceived pinches by dmen leading to odd man rushes and scoring opportunity. Soft as butter defending and own zone play.

To much same same on this team with small top six finesse guys who seem to have buckets of skill yet don't put up points and leak defensive goals or chances against because they cannot or won't commit to a 200 foot game. In Yakupov the one young gun with a viable exit strategy, Eatkins is playing the tough love, accountability card that seems to be affected confidence and edge of the seat play Eatkins praised him for in pre-season.

Despite a bonanza of picks, this team had not (yet) pulled a core player from its second round or later picks. This has hurt the organizational depth and we are two, three years from seeing some of this pipeline produce. Goaltending depth is abysmal and a complete fail for management.

I once believed that this team needed to hoard its top four skilled forwards but am coming to believe that one (and sadly Yakupov) will need to be sacrificed to balance out this roster beyond a core of small, finesse players in the Land of the Giants conference.

Hope is dying. This is a results driven business we've been told. Less talk more action.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote