View Single Post
Old
10-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Hi everyone - I've uploaded the essay again: http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/65898845/file.html

Note that the essay is five years old and hasn't been updated (hence the comment that nobody aside from Apps and Potvin have led their team to comeback from a 3-0 series deficit). The conclusion:

"...I think we can now make an argument against Dionne that’s more subtle than “he didn’t score as much as he did in the regular season”. First, Dionne and the Kings usually played very poorly in the first game of a series, often getting blown out. Winning the first game is especially important in a best-of-three/five, so a weak first game is especially dangerous. Second, Dionne played very poorly in elimination games. When the Kings needed a big effort, Dionne was usually (though not always) held off the scoresheet. Nine points in thirteen games is what you’d expect from Butch Goring, not Marcel Dionne. Finally, Dionne’s biggest problem was inconsistency. I found two or three times in his entire career when Dionne strung together two consecutive good games. The Kings often lost because their best player often disappeared
for half a series at a time."

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote