View Single Post
Old
10-30-2013, 08:35 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Your missing the point. Others stated waiting two to three years, that is my argument against that. If you are planning on trading him in two to three years you are better off doing it now or never because the more of his salary we pay the worse off the cap recapture will be. I do not know about most teams but I would believe three years of 8-9 million dollars would put a damper on us then even though cap will probably be up there then.
Trading him out of a fear that he might retire at some point before his contract ends is the wrong motivation. The only reason to trade him is because the real benefits and costs are comparable and the front office believes that the potential exists for the benefits to eventually outweigh the costs.

The entire reason people are saying to wait a couple of years is because the team simply does not have the depth on the blueline to lose Weber without a defender coming back. Jones is playing well through his first 12 games, but, it is an extremely small sample size. Josi hasn't returned from his concussion and the risk of cumulative effects is a concern. Ekholm is playing ok on the second pair, but, he needs another year or two of development before he solidifies as a 2nd pair defender.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote