Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIV
View Single Post
Old
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
So this is what Holtby is quoted as saying:

"I don't know exactly what it is, and who knows what preparation means in here, but it's the fact that we're not coming out hard enough to play," Holtby said. "We're not wanting to get the lead, we're not hungry enough to get that first one and keep pushing. We're kind of sitting back waiting for a hockey game [to come] to us and you don't win many games doing that."

"The preparation at the start of last year is the same as it was here," Holtby said, referring to Washington's 2-8-1 record through its first 11 games last season. "In my mindset, two hours before puck drop, that's when it's business time and focus. You see too much of guys joking around and listening to music and just looking really loose, like it's a practice. We're paid to prepare, [not to] have a dance party before the game.

"I don't know what it is, but yeah, you go back to Winnipeg last year, it's a changed team. It started in the dressing room and we have to get back to that. ... Maybe we need a little bit of a wake-up call to get back to where we were last year at the end."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...-Question.html

Every single bit of this is absolutely spot on. For year, this team's mental make-up has been too soft and unfocused, though Hunter was able to mask it during his short stint (and appears to have triggered a stealth mutiny in doing so).

You have a sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense attitude - chances are good you'll play sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense hockey. And that's what we're seeing from this team.

It's just a shame that it takes a kid goalie to call this out - why the fug isn't McPhee or Ted or Oates or any of the team leadership or "core" calling out the team's crap mindset and lack of intensity and commitment. To ask the question is almost to answer it. They're either nurturing it or enjoying it.