View Single Post
Old
01-19-2004, 09:14 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Could be a deal, but I don't think BG will trade Zed... he's a couple of years younger and has half the salary.
O'Neill is six weeks younger than Zed, who turned 28 two weeks ago. It wouldn't make sense to trade a top six forward for a top six forward...Gainey has stated as much.

Carolina is in dire need of some young defensive prospects....Hainsey and Hossa and a fourth pick for O'Neill and a second round pick if the Habs have deemed Hainsey to be too disruptive...send him back to the States, where he might be more comfortable, and to a team that will play him due to a lack of offensive defencemen.

I don't like giving up on the youngsters, but I have a feeling Hossa is never going to cut it in Montreal...deal him while his stock is relatively high. Hainsey might also need a change of scenery, and his stock is also high enough to make a trade like this at least of interest to the Canes.

O'Neill would slide right into Bulis' spot, and Jan can go back to the third line with Begin and Ward.

O'Neill Koivu Ryder
Zednik Ribs Dags
Bulis Begin Ward
Sunny JJ Dacks vs. offensive teams
Langdon JJ Kilger vs. physical teams

That's a pretty solid lineup IMO, plus we get an extra top 35 pick in the draft. This looks to be a fairly strong draft for defencemen, particularly in Europe. A Sami Lepisto would make us forget about Hainsey fairly quickly IMO.