View Single Post
Old
10-30-2013, 08:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I agree. But I don't think it comes down to adding a Big 4C or some other 3LW. We need to decide who of Gagner, Hemsky, RNH, Perron, Eberle, Yak and Hall are staying and who aren't. I think a Nash type trade for a Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon would pay dividends for this team. And no, we can't keep all of them no matter how precious we think they are.
I'm sure my opinion means squat around here, but I honestly think the Oilers could be fixed pretty much overnight with a trade like that. Eberle is the guy I would move. But not just any depth trade, you have to do extended scouting and number crunching and make sure you're targeting the right guys. Dubinsky and Anisimov are both highly versatile (can play wing or center), both are stud defensive players and both dominant possession players. They're both very young too. They were great young players who had worn out their welcome in different ways (Dubinsky, a contractual issue, Anisimov being relegated to the 4th line on some nights) but were no less players because of it, but were highly undervalued by their team.

There are a lot of players like that around the league. Don't look for a big name, look for an effective player in a bad situation.

Example: Eberle and a cap dump to New Jersey for Mark Fayne, Travis Zajac, and Adam Henrique.

At first glance this is horrendous for Edmonton, and you probably hate it. But, I believe that it would make the Oilers a better team. Zajac's name is crap because of that contract, but he's big, a phenomenal defensive player, and is a big part of why the Devils run. Henrique is a great young two-way center who is a PK ace as well as a strong offensive player. And Fayne is the Devils' best defenseman, who is somehow constantly benched.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Gagner-Henrique-Hemsky
Perron-Zajac-Arcobello
Smyth-Gordon-Jones

Belov-Petry
Smid-Fayne
Ference-J. Schultz

Looks like a playoff team to me. It'll look better when you can insert Nurse and/or Klefbom in next season. I'm a believer in Dubnyk. The pieces are there, you just have to identify whose name carries more weight than their actual play and sell those guys and buy the ones whose name is worth less than their actual play.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote