View Single Post
Old
01-19-2004, 09:29 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
There is no way this should get any consideration.

Who would replace Markov on LD? Hainsey isn't ready and Beauchemin is a 5th or 6th d-man at best.

Plekanec is having a great year in the AHL, plays with grit and intensity and doesn't have a big salary. About the only thing he doesn't do is shoot right handed. I think this guy has a future with the Habs and I certainly wouldn't throw in Markov and a 2nd round pick just to get a high priced center who shoots from the other side.

The 2nd round pick? Hmmm.... Montreal is looking to build through the draft and have built a nice base of prospects already. I don't think they are about to abandon that strategy.

Besides Gainey said he might consider picking up someone from a non-contender as a fill-in for the balance of the year. Now if you consider the Isles a non-contender, then Montreal might be willing to take a big salary off their hands but they wouldn't get much in return.

Something like Mark Parrish for Karl Dykhuis and Yanic Perreault would be much more palatable.
Ok let me get this straight. The original trade proposal (Peca for Markov, Plekanec and a 2nd) should not get "any consideration". But your "Parrish for Dykhuis and Perreault" proposal is supposed to make sense and is " more palatable"?!!

OH BOY! Dykhuis and Perreault BOTH walk as UFAs at the end of the year. So the Isles would trading a mid-aged sniper for ... nothing.

Add to that the fact that Perreault and Dykuis' annual salaries add up to (2.8 + 1.5 =) 4.3 million dollars. Parrish makes about a third of that.

Add to that the fact that Dykhuis cleared waivers when the season begun and could be had for future considerations right now. Perreault could be had right now for a 2nd round draft pick right now. Maybe even less than a 2nd rounder. Montreal will keep him around though as insurance in case Koivu or Ribeiro get hurt.

I any event, that proposal blows!