View Single Post
Old
01-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Witt will cost too much. He's a legit #3, possibly #2 defenseman.

Gauthier always intrigues me, but he's playing a fairly important role in Calgary. If they dealt him, they'd have Commodore or Montador in their top six. That would significantly weaken their defense. While they have a good solid top six, dealing any of their defensemen would significantly weaken it.

In short: Gauthier would be expensive. Forget the Perreault rumours.

Richardson might be a viable option, but I'm not sure how interested Columbus is on selling off all the players they bought on the UFA market. He is also very immobile and not a major upgrade over Bouillon, to be honest.

All in all, I wouldn't mind an upgrade on defense. But what could Montreal deal? You will not get an upgrade on defense without sacrificing a valuable asset. That asset would either be a roster player like Markov (if he is seen as expendable with Souray's emergence as a PP QB, and Brisebois being capable on the second unit), or a future asset like Plekanec.

Either way, it doesn't interest me too much. Bouillon has been strong of late, and while I'm not too fond of the idea of heading into a playoff race with him as a top six defenseman, I don't think the team should mortgage any future for short-term success, nor do I see the team moving roster players.